Cold Winter, Hot Toddy

Hot toddies have come my way several times this season, and I must say, I’m a fan. I wrote about them for a client in an article about warm cocktails, and discovered then that there are lots of ways to make them. In general, think of the tea you’d drink to soothe a cold, and add a shot of liquor – you know, for comfort. 

I was served one at a Christmas party that was lovely. It was, I think, based pretty closely on Jamie Oliver’s hot toddy recipe, but with the addition of some ginger to the general mix of honey, lemon, and spices. 

This week I have been struggling with a killer head cold, so I took the opportunity to make a hot toddy for myself. 


First, this hip retro mug was originally Kirk’s grandmother’s. She was a nurse, and everyone on her floor had one – the back has her shift hours.

Next, I made this with a mug of herbal tea, a slice of ginger, and a wedge of lemon studded with a couple cloves. The tea had a fair amount of stevia in it already, so I skipped the honey. In the future, I would definitely add the honey, especially for a cold – the syrupy coating makes this much nicer. 


I went with a shot of Applejack in this, which was really good, though any whiskey or bourbon or brown liquor you like would work just as well. I’m not sure if this drink actually helps clear your sinuses or not, but the spices make it something you can actually taste when you’re stuffed up. The alcohol isn’t any more potent than a shot of NyQuil, and it’s a whole lot tastier. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What to Do With an Unripe Watermelon

Last Weekend of Winter

So Where's Everybody From?