The World According to Triscuit

Family from Pennsylvania visited last weekend, and they came bearing gifts. In addition to two lip-smackingly delicious bags of Grandma Utz's potato chips (cooked in lard!), there was also this piece of cardboard clipped from the back of a Triscuit box:


I guess in Pennsylvania, crackers come with seed cards. I have never seen this before. I'm not sure exactly what kind of movement Triscuit is seeking to foment, but I decided to give it a go. The seeds are for dill, and ours didn't germinate this summer (likely because the seeds were labeled as having been gathered in 2008 from our old garden). At this point it's probably too late to get much out of it, but I figured seeds encased in cardboard were already an experiment anyway, so we might as well get them in the ground and see what happens.

Here are the directions from the box:


After the soaking in Step 1, Step 2 looked like this:


I have to say, I was expecting more seeds than that.

I went off-book in Step 3 and "planted" this in a bed outside near the marjoram. Planting in this case consisted merely of placing the card in the soil and sweeping some dirt over top of it.

I have been dutifully following Step 4 by giving that area a spritz with the hose when I water the grass (yes, we're still working on that, although I am calling it quits with extra irrigation as of October 1).

As for Step 5, I'm still waiting. Today is Day 4 of the suggested 10-12 until they sprout, so we shall see. I am skeptical, but a little dill before frost would be nice, and if it comes up, I can move it into the cold frame. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What to Do With an Unripe Watermelon

Last Weekend of Winter

So Where's Everybody From?