Success Story: Bok Choy

All that cabbage looper squishing paid off: our bok choy is ready!


In the old garden we were never successful with bok choy, so this fully fleshed-out head is very exciting. As you can see if you look closely, I had just finished watering it when Kirk called out for some for the stir fry. Two knife slices later:


It occurred to me that for the past few months I haven't been in any of these photos, and I don't want you to think that Kirk does all the work. So here is me harvesting.

Instead of pulling the bok choy, I cut it off at the stem. With regular cabbage, this will cause it to grow back in the form of several mini-cabbages. I'm not sure exactly what will happen with bok choy, but one that Kirk cut last week already has some new shoots:


I'll keep you posted on how the re-growth goes.

As for dinner, Kirk made a stir fry with those two heads of bok choy and some chicken. Also in the mix were ginger, garlic, mirin, soy sauce, and rice vinegar. Oh, and a pinch of brown sugar and red pepper flakes. I don't think he measures.


Instead of rice, this time we had our stir fry over soba (buckwheat noodles). This was a nice change — and also filling!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What to Do With an Unripe Watermelon

Last Weekend of Winter

So Where's Everybody From?