The 2012 Garlic Harvest

The 2012 garlic harvest is in the books! I dug up and braided the last ones (our late Italian variety) this morning:


This last braid is also my very best one--it's as tall as I am! (By the way, that's 5'2", since I think I use this measurement fairly regularly.) It's the biggest one by far:


So that's this season's garlic, curing on the porch. All told, it's about 130 bulbs (not counting the tiny ones that went straight to the kitchen). This means we have 2 1/2 bulbs of garlic per week until next year's harvest — that's probably more than we need. On the other hand, we'll blow through quite a bit of it when canning season comes around in a few weeks (think pasta sauce, salsa, pickles, and relishes). 

Finally, very sharp-eyed readers may notice a difference between this garlic harvest photo and the last one (besides the obvious part about there being  more garlic braids now). Hint: Look up at the ceiling.

This past week we dove headlong into renovating our screened-in porch into a pleasant, usable space to avoid mosquitos when the sun goes down. I've been up on a ladder painting the porch ceiling this week, and it's taken up a lot of my time. The picture here shows the short side of the ceiling, but the roof slants up to meets the house, and I need to stand pretty much on the top step of the ladder to just barely reach the tippy top to paint. Slow work, and it's why I haven't posted as much this week (in case you were wondering). Before and after photos to follow ... whenever we finally get it done.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What to Do With an Unripe Watermelon

Last Weekend of Winter

So Where's Everybody From?