A Pregnant Pumpkin?

It's that time of year when I am surrounded by pumpkins. Carved pumpkins on doorsteps, pie pumpkins curing on the porch, calabaza songs and dances at work, and first grade science observations. Just when I thought I couldn't possibly look at another pumpkin with any pleasure, this happened:


The first grade classes at the school where I work spend the fall noting their scientific observations of various pumpkins. Today the teachers cut them open to compare and contrast the seeds, and this one had seeds inside that had already sprouted. This pumpkin must have been warm enough in our classrooms (not surprising, given how overheated our building often is) to encourage the seeds to sprout. It must not have dried out much at all either, since it was moist enough to allow the seeds to germinate.

So there you have it – a pumpkin with new pumpkins growing inside it. 

I've never seen anything like it. Thanks, first graders!

Comments

  1. I've heard from a few people now that this year they've seen this. So far I've heard pumpkins, squash, and tomatoes. I wondering if this year is special somehow, or if this kind of thing happens more often than we realize.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What to Do With an Unripe Watermelon

Last Weekend of Winter

So Where's Everybody From?