Trim the Fat Tuesday: The Sugary Drinks

This should be a no-brainer, but up to this point we haven't displayed the willpower to

Eliminate the sugary drinks from our grocery budget (and our diet).

I'll admit, this idea came about purely from a fit of jealousy on my part. You see, I like a glass of delicious chocolate milk every now and then. Once in a while, it can serve as a quick dessert when there's nothing else around, and I eagerly open the fridge …

… only to find that, once again, my children have used up the entire bottle of Hershey's syrup in just five days.

I never get any.

Well, joke's on you, greedy ones. If I can't have it, no one can.

Mwah hah hah.


Though I never seem to get any chocolate milk, I do always get more the my fair share of Mexican Coke.

It is our only fizzy vice, and it is such a delicious one. It's so good with homemade pizza or nachos or tacos. And it definitely tastes better that regular Coke what with its real cane sugar and glass bottle.

But, clearly, it's not exactly a healthful drink. And if we're going to impose a budget cut in the name of healthy teeth and the avoidance of diabetes, then the adults should also walk the walk.

(Note: this walk I'm walking is around the grocery budget block only. We're more than happy to order our favorite sugary drinks in a restaurant when it's covered by the entertainment budget. We're not zealots.)

We don't buy these things weekly, but we do buy them at least once a month. Doing my best estimates on the math, I would say that we buy maybe six bottles of Mexican Coke per month, and perhaps one bottle of Hershey's syrup every two months.

At $.99 apiece for the Coke, that's $5.94 per month on refrescos. As for the chocolate syrup, the 24 oz. bottle is $2.39, but since we usually only have that every two months, it only represents $1.20 of spending per month. That's not a ton of money, but it's an easy cut to make on something that's absolutely not a necessity.

Savings per month: $7

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What to Do With an Unripe Watermelon

Last Weekend of Winter

So Where's Everybody From?