Kids’ Corner: Making Honey Fudge

Guest blogger Tiegan shares her experience of using some of our honey harvest to make honey fudge this winter. The recipe is from The River Cottage Family Cookbook. 

As a Christmas gift for my parents, I decided to use our honey to make honey fudge. It didn’t turn out to be much of a surprise, though.

You will need:
4 cups granulated sugar 
13-ounce can evaporated milk (I used 12 ounces)
1/2 cup water (I used slightly less)
pinch salt
1/4 cup honey (I used a bit more)
canola oil 
7 tablespoons butter (I used a little more to put on the top of the inside of the pan so the fudge wouldn’t bubble over)

glass measuring cup
large saucepan
wooden spoon
tablespoon
candy thermometer
jelly roll pan
knife

1. Put sugar, evaporated milk, and water in the saucepan. The pan should be no more than a third full. Place over low heat until the sugar has dissolved. Stir in the salt and honey. Clip the candy thermometer to the inside of the pan.

2. Raise heat and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally to ensure it won’t stick to the bottom of the pan. Turn off the heat when the temperature reads 241 degrees F. Allow the mixture to cool for a few minutes. Oil the pan lightly.

3. Cut the butter into smaller pieces and add to mixture. Stir. When the mixture becomes grainy, pour it into the pan (I had a little trouble getting it to spread out, so I took a rubber spatula and spread it that way).

4. Use a knife to mark the squares before it sets:


5.  The next day, take the fudge out of the pan using a spatula. Store it in an airtight container at room temperature:


When you eat it you can have one to two pieces, although it really depends on how big and/or thick the pieces are. It’s very, very sweet!

Comments

  1. Thanks, Tiegan...and thanks for the heads up on how many pieces I should have. I need that kind of help in my life. Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What to Do With an Unripe Watermelon

Last Weekend of Winter

So Where's Everybody From?